THE GRASS.


What's the first thing in your mind when you see this? You would probably laugh and think that the quote is wrong! It should have been
"The grass is always greener on the other side"
But I don't think the person who created this was wrong. In fact, this unique quote now has more meaning to me. Think about first impressions. Or perhaps, think about your first time of doing something, or going to some place.

When I meet someone new, I have the bad habit of being rather judgmental. Yeah I know, I could be horrible ._. But I just can't help observing someone new and prejudging their characters and personalities before I even know them. Some of the first impressions I got from them are indeed correct, but mostly are not.

When I first entered junior high school, I saw this guy who's really talkative and rather annoying. He was very loud and bold, and I disliked him at that very moment cus I was so irritated by him. However, as school started and I got into the same class as him, I found out that he was actually an outgoing and friendly person. He was loud, yes, but in a funny way. In the end of the year, we became friends. Now that I know him better, I can see that I was wrong. He is far from annoying! Gosh. When I think back about how silly I was, disliking him before we even talked to each other, I laughed at myself.



A similar case happened when I got the scholarship. In July that year, I didn't go to school anymore, cus school only starts in January next year. So I had about four months of lazing and slacking. But my mother signed me up into a prep course, in which I would be studying maths, physics and english with the other students who also got the same scholarship as me. She thought it would be good for me to prepare myself, as well as to bond with my "future friends."

I was far from excited. I've met some of my fellow scholars, and they seemed so... scholarly. I felt that I wouldn't be able to connect with them, as they were so different with the friends I had at my school. I started to imagine horrible things about how dorky they might be, how awkward it would be to talk to them, etc. I had this prejudice against scholars; that scholars are so geeky and dorky and not fun. I dreaded the thought of going to this prep course for the next three months.

However, it turned out that those people are currrraaaayyyzeeeehh. Well, some of them are quite scholarly, and all of them are such freakin smartypants, but all in all they are far from what I thought they were. They are so friendly and nice. In fact, they made the prep course enjoyable.

And after living together with them for two years, I feel so close to them, even closer than how I feel with my friends back at my junior high school, that we are like a family. Yeah, they are like my siblings now. Singapore would be so dull and unbearable without them. How stupid I was for having that prejudice, eh.


You really can't judge a book by its cover. The cover may deceive you, yet what's inside may entertain you. Similarly, the grass may look dull and boring when you look at it from far behind, but as you walk closer and really open your eyes, you will see that it is far greener on the inside :).

Well, I'm not proud with myself for having this super horrible habit, and now I'm trying very hard to change into a better person. This post would hopefully help to remind me if someday I start to prejudge someone I just met, and yeah, hopefully it would help you too ;).

0 comments: